It is still possible for you to obtain that hard-earned high school even if you did not finish formal education. Avail of General Educational Development programs in Georgia.
The reality is roughly a million Americans secure this GED diploma each year. Take a look at the requirements in your state of residence so you will learn the whole process. Likewise, refer to the correct online GED study guide. This will help you in making preparations. The test covers primary areas of study in high school. These are science, mathematics, reading, writing, and social studies.
Check with the state’s education department for actual dates, venues and fees if you intend to take GED testing. Or, visit the GED portal since this is more convenient. Local community schools can also provide you with pertinent information. It is advisable to get hold of a study guide before you take the test. In case you have not been in school for a long interval, this study manual can mean the difference between making the grade and failing. Take preparations earnestly and avoid possible distractions. Entering college may be more difficult if you have low test grades.
What does planning for a test entail? It is not only a matter of setting schedules and going over books and review materials for a few hours. The student needs to become fully aware of theories and concepts as well as exam contents. In other words, you need to reach a certain stage of expertise. This calls for learning examples, reading substantial content, taking sample tests, and studying actual courses. There are five different subject categories. You must allot sufficient time for each because all these fields are important if you decide to pursue higher education. Fortunately, the age of the Internet allows immediate access to almost all kinds of knowledge.
Useful Pointers for GED Test Takers
There are some helpful hints that you should consider as part of preparations for the GED test.
- Verify the State’s exact prerequisites for securing a GED diploma. See to it that you understand all the requirements. This ensures that you do not waste precious time and resources on study alternatives that will not help at all.
- Select the appropriate study guide. You can find an assortment of Equivalency study manuals in commercial bookstores and school libraries. However, each guidebook has a distinct review technique. Go through each of these references. Read several paragraphs or chapters carefully. Then, pick one that you think you are most receptive to. This guide will serve as your tutor. Thus, you must connect to it easily. These review materials can be expensive so choosing a second-hand book or an online format can be more practical.
- You should have a suitable schedule and space for studying. The pace and time must be conducive to your learning aptitude.
- Figure out the different test contents so you will know what to study and not.
- It is also advisable to think about taking up distance learning GED modules. This is very convenient since you can learn from the comfort of your own abode. However, take extra caution in choosing web-based courses so you do not fall victim to scammers.
- Take note of questions regarding facts which can be very important. Maintain an updated list. This is one of the most effective review techniques.
- Register for the GED test once you are ready. Keep in mind that it is not possible to take these tests through the web. You are required to visit an accredited testing facility and request for an appointment. Each state has a GED center.
Passing the GED test will not be easy without the right preparation. There will be numerous materials to understand. What makes it difficult is that the test-taker did not have any classroom training compared to regular students who went through four years of high school.
Online GED Test Preparations
You have different options to prepare and train for the test. Among the most ideal methods is to take the distance learning course. Web-based sessions are suitable for independent-minded individuals. As a general rule, these are readily available in modules requiring students to go through every section from start to finish. Multiple facilities provide practice tests and sample quizzes for learners. Most of these courses also hone the skills of students and enable them to go on with college education.
The online alternative is believed to be the most economical approach in completing your degree. There are different options for training and study materials at no cost to the student. Yet, you must be aware of a number of drawbacks connected to free classes. There is the risk of selecting a course that is not recognized out of many choices available to you. Besides, free classes have been created for the use of individuals. In case you have a preference for group studies or close management in learning, GED Internet programs can prove to be quite disappointing.
Various qualifications will be required from students. This depends on the selected program. Free options offered in physical venues oblige applicants to obtain particular test scores to gain tuition exemption. On the other hand, online programs are more adaptable. In fact, there are no prerequisites for free sessions. However, you can only take the test based on the following conditions:
- Applicants must not be currently enrolled in high school.
- These hopefuls should not have finished high school.
- All candidates should be more than 16 years old.
- Prospective test takers must conform to state requirements.
It is not difficult to enroll in a General Educational Development curriculum. Simply look for an up to standard training provider and enroll in the course. There are well known training providers like the American Council on Education. Many websites supply educational materials. Hence, it is advisable to look up several options to figure out which will be applicable to your needs.
The New GED Test
The new GED program (2014) integrates clear-cut college readiness benchmarks and efforts to improve testing capabilities. This is one way of determining skills required for entry into college. Indeed, an overhaul is necessary with over 25 million adults of working age without any high school diploma. Furthermore, today’s labor sector has stringent demands for higher education levels.
GED testing service plans to provide a new problem-solving evaluation. It will be incorporated with extra set of courses, professional development resources and counseling support. All these are designed to help test providers and examinees adapt to changes in content and difficulties. Said modifications include amended materials for preparations materials. Primary patterns are based on a distinct instructional structure compared to the present GED test. However, it will entail more costs and efforts on the part of state governments investing in GED preparation courses.
General Educational Development statistical reports show that roughly ½ of individuals taking GED tests get ready for the exam on their own. On the other hand, ½ take part in state or local adult education modules. Areas with higher passing scores normally oblige test takers to have finished an adult education study program or pass the official practice testing. This is a pre-condition for taking the actual examination. Students should prepare more for the reworked test due to the new complexity level particularly in the college readiness segment.
Tips & Strategies for Taking the GED Test
Here are some potential suggestions and tactics that you can follow:
- Read and understand each question carefully before answering it. Seek the proctor’s assistance if you do not comprehend what is being asked.
- See to it that you answer all questions for every test section. You will not be penalized for incorrect answers. Therefore, it is better to guess even if you do not have an idea of the answer. There is nothing to lose in case you are mistaken.
- Think further on while you are in the process of answering questions. Try to foresee what the author will likely say. Concentrate more eagerly on the test and read more aggressively
- Test takers will be provided with a calculator (Casio FX-260) for Part One of the Mathematics test. You are not permitted to use a calculator for the second part. If you plan to use the calculator, your preparation should include the opportunity to get familiar with the specific functions of this calculator model. Some of the answers in the Math portion will be recorded on either ordinary or coordinate plane grid. The formulas page will be provided for your reference during the Mathematics exam.
- Make sure that you finish earlier so you can review your answers specifically the questions that you are not sure of. Avoid changing answers for the multiple choice part unless you are very sure that it is incorrect. GED uses machines for scoring except for the essay in Language Arts. If the machine detects two marked answers, not one will count correctly. Erase any changed answer completely before submitting your paper.
- Watch the clock! Once the test starts, look at your watch and jot down the time that you began answering as well as the time you stop at the top portion of the answer sheet. You will not squander time trying to find out the time you have left. You will be informed several times about the remaining time. Check this against the time on your sheet.
- If you lag behind, there is no reason to lose your nerve. It is not hard to catch up. Refrain from selecting questions randomly. In the event that you are ahead, try to go slowly. This will help you avoid making careless errors.
- Mark the questions that you are not sure of. Go back to these points and try to answer as correctly as possible.
- There are some answers that look correct and included by GED test writers. Actually, these are simply distractions that you have to ignore. You can notice these very easily because it contradicts totally the answer that is listed in the paper. The “decoy answers” were made to confuse you on purpose.
Approach the GED test with a positive outlook. This optimistic feeling will help you get rid of the nervousness. Hence, you can focus on answering the questions more capably. Negative thoughts will make things difficult for you. Be patient and read the questions slowly. Familiarize yourself with the layout and follow all instructions. Confidence will help you get away from the panic moments especially if the questions seem confusing. This standardized test can be intimidating. Nonetheless, there is no reason for you not to perform well with the right preparation.
Use the time given to you prudently. Each section is timed. You will be asked by the proctor to hand in the answer sheet as soon as the time is up. It does not matter if you have not finished answering. The key is proper pacing. Learn how to achieve this so your overall score will not be reduced significantly. The time allocated for each question is from one to two minutes. Most of the examinees in the past failed to answer at least one full section of the GED test.
The following chart gives you an idea about the time for each test section:
||TIME PER QUESTION
- Language Arts/ Writing I
|Language Arts/ Writing II
- Social Studies
- Language Arts/ Reading
Preparations are very vital to pass standardized exams. That is why you should take as many practice or sample tests as you can. It may be advisable to set realistic goals and go through the practice tests by sections. Deal with one subject matter at a time. Results of the practice test will help you find out the preparation that you still need. Do not forget to time yourself so this will not be new to you anymore when you go to the real testing facility.